A note regarding recent enquiries relating to the current casual vacancies on the Council.
- The current Causal Vacancy period, of 14 working days, ends 4pm Monday 26th
- Notifications have been place on social media sites, the village website & noticeboards
- Any vacancy on a Parish Council must be advertised as above
- The outcome of a previously held by-election cannot be utilised to appoint new members
- It is your democratic right to call for an election to fill these vacancies should you wish
- If a by-election is called this will be managed by the District Council and all costs must be met by the Parish Council
- On this occasion, this cost would be met using funds from BPCs emergency reserve; this will need to be built up again by increases to parish precept claims or cutting budgets for other powers of the Parish Council
- If a by-election is not called the vacant seat/s should be filled by co-option of Parish Council members at an open public meeting of the full council
- When there are more candidates than available seats a members poll is conducted
- Whichever method is adopted nominees will be given a set period in which to apply
- In the case of co-option each candidate shall be given equal consideration
I cannot comment on the preference or criteria sought by each individual councillor and we are yet to know the method to determine new members or who might apply. Once I hear from Electoral Services regarding the outcome of the Casual Vacancy Notice period I will update you.