The church of St John the Baptist dates to pre-Norman times, although the current building is predominantly Norman, with the original font still in use, and the “Adoration of the Magi” stone carving on the outside wall also being Norman. For those who are interested in architecture, St John’s is one of the best examples in Devon of a Norman church. The bell tower was added in the 1800s. The church bells were cast in the same foundry as the “Bow Bells”, which were destroyed by bombing in London during the Second World War. Villagers refused to allow their church bells to be taken to London to replace those destroyed, so the village still retains its “Bow Bells”. The Garden of Rest at the rear of the church was originally a Sanctuary Chapel, which was established in 1350 by Bishop de Grandisson as a sanctuary for criminals.
Full details of church service times for the current month can be obtained from church noticeboards around the village, or in the Parish Chronicle. Sunday Services are at 9:00am for Holy Communion and 10:30am for the Parish Eucharist.
Further information about St John’s and the local ministry is available from the Haldon Team Ministry website.